– they ask no questions; they pass no criticisms” – George Elliot.
Do you have a favourite animal? I’m a bit pants at choosing favourites really but I think after 25 years and spending a few days with them, last year I finally settled on elephants! I’ve loved them for as long as I can remember, those gentle and intelligent giants. However, as far as pets go they seem a bit far-fetched. For starters they can eat between 300 and 600kg of food per day, and also they’re herd animals – so you’d more than likely end up with more than one unless you wanted a lonely nelly! If you could choose any 5 animals to keep as a pet, which ones would be on your list?
- Dog: conventional I know but I love dogs and really miss having one around. They’re always happy to see you, easily excitable, notice when you’re upset and in need a bit of tlc and are generally excellent company. I’m sure I would have explored a lot more of the Oxfordshire countryside if I had a dog with me, and that’s just one example. I’m really looking forward to the day I allow myself to invite a dog into my world again, have to grow up a bit first though and not be away every weekend.
- Red panda: if you could domesticate one of these animals like you can a cat, it would be awesome! Imagine one chilling out in a tree in the garden, or just popping that cute face through the cat flap. Amazing!
- Pygmy hedgehog: they’re just too darn cute! If I ever have a family and we reach a stage of considering small pets (traditionally hamster, gerbil, guinea pig, rabbit etc) my kids are having a hedgehog!
- Owl: not just an owl of course, the Harry Potter sort who would be my friend and carry my mail. I love to write letters – can you imagine how cool it would be to send a letter by owl post? Yes please!
- Oh please could I have an elephant? Just a little one.? If you could make an elephant which was the size of a small dog I would totally buy it, though I suppose that wouldn’t be much good for a quick jaunt to the shops. I’m not sure if this list is meant to be realistic or fictional but I’m having this one anyway.
My house would be like something out of We Bought a Zoo, but it would be pretty amazing, don’t you think? Which animals would make your top 5 potential pets, and why?